Skip to main content

Life Lately : Professional Tambay


As some of you know, I recently graduated just this April and the pressure that comes with being unemployed is killing me. I never really thought of it before. I was actually even eager to finish school and dip my toes in the professional world but now that I'm finally on the shore, I can't bring myself to move forward and feel the cold waters that real life has yet to offer.


I had a plan, actually. 

I planned on applying as a Starbucks Barista because if you know me, you'll know that it has been one of my biggest dreams to work as a barista and where better else than my favorite (please don't call me basic) coffee shop? I know I didn't take an HRM course or any course related to food, preparing drinks, whatever. I took up Advertising Arts for crying out loud and I don't regret it for one single bit. Its just that I know that I'm young and if there is any time for me to try out different things, it's now, right? Sadly, my Aunt and Uncle couldn't understand my desire to work in a cafe. It's a waste of my education, they said. And I guess, I totally understand where they're coming from.

Back to the plan!

So, Starbucks Barista and the world of freelance visual artistry.

I've been freelancing for God knows how long. I've had several projects that I've worked on and I'm confident enough that if I put in the time and effort, I can (and I will) succeed in getting more and more clients to work with. It might sound cocky, but I know my strengths. 

I saw myself working an 8-hour job at Starbucks with happy, fast-moving friends facing customers that are eager to drink their favorite cup of tea or coffee. Then, right after my shift, I'll stay in the cafe as I work on my freelance projects, happily sipping my iced americano and meeting clients, pitching them ideas for their wedding invitations, logos and whatnots. I saw it in my mind, guys. I was happy and... contented. Undisturbed by the prejudice, anxiety and stress that life gives not because what I was doing was easy but because what I was doing was what I wanted. 

I was eager to work on my portfolio, to grow as an artist in a field that I loved and I know I can do well.... yet, I'm not doing that. I'm not even close to that path.

I'm now trying to find a job online and I had my first interview this week, actually. I wasn't accepted. It took a toll on my confidence and I was deeply hurt not because I thought I was stupid or whatever negative thought about my abilities as a person. It's because I have to do it again. I have to go through the journey of looking for a job that fits my course because that is what's right. 

Tomorrow, I'll be applying as a Multimedia Producer for a company. I'm not going to say where. I might jinx it. But I do hope I get the job. I think that if I could just endure this stage of my life, I will finally get to the part where I serve coffee and make art for a living everyday of my life. 

As for now, I gotta make a living.


Popular posts from this blog

Feel Good List : 10 Things You Can Do For You #SelfLoveSeries

Hello and welcome back! Coming at you straight away with 10 little things you can do to give in little kicks of self-care and self-love. Some are quite personal but you can try them out and share with me your thoughts about it. This might not be for everyone but I'm still excited for the ones who can relate. Let's get started! 1 . Watch a movie alone. Like, literally alone. No social media posts, no telling a bunch of people that you're going to watch a movie alone, now whatever. It makes the experience private and special. 2.  Listen to Ted Talks. You're learning + getting inspiration. It's a win-win situation. 3 . Listen to a podcast that talks about things you genuinely care about. Currently, I'm listening to The Minimalists podcast by Ryan Nicodemus and Joshua Fields Millburn. 4 . When you're travelling home from work and have the chance to see the sky as you walk to your bus stop or any terminal or anytime you have the chance to lo

Tatak C3: Blogging Workshop for Aspiring Bloggers by Cebu Content Creators

There is more to this day than just this workshop and I promise I'll tell you all about it but for now, I give you a glimpse of what it's like to attend a workshop organized by Cebu Content Creators on a Saturday afternoon.  The workshop, by the way, is called Blogging for First-Timers   and it was hash tagged as #BFFWorkshop . It was held at Handuraw, Mango last July 29, 2017 . When I found out about the workshop, truth be told, I was hesitant to register. I had a bad experience with a blogging workshop last June. It was a total scam. I won't say any detail about the last workshop I attended because I don't want them to have any kind of traffic/views/searches. Good thing I didn't let my fear of being scammed again stop me and registered for this one though. I wouldn't have known all the things that they shared and taught us. 06.2017. #TatakC3 A post shared by Cebu Content Creators (@cebucontentcreators) on May 30, 2017 at 9:20pm PDT

In A World of Mindless Monsters

It's not like I need another online outlet to blabber about my issues, right? And just like any other millennial, I too have a blog I have forgotten since I stopped having free time and "life" started to happen.  But now that life really is starting to happen, I revert back to this blank page. To this blinking dash on my screen waiting for me to write the next word that pops into my mind. I guess, that apart from my ego, this blinking dash is the only thing that is waiting for me to write again. Ah, writing. What a fun anecdote. I think of writing in the form of success. Books after book written into being a New York Times Bestseller *crowd goes wild!* or a story that goes viral because of witty writing. But right now, writing is this. An outlet for a 20-something, hardly making it millennial that doesn't have much to say except, life's a fucking bitch. Because in a world of mindless monsters, including myself, I still find the world to be so mind-boggling that ca